The Puget Sound Pilots provide information on marine-related issues and work with organizations to promote environmental awareness and boater safety. Our members participate in a number of Puget Sound maritime business, civic, and educational organizations such as the Seattle and Tacoma Propeller Clubs, Catholic Seafarer’s Club; Seattle Maritime Festival; Coast Guard Foundation; Northwest Maritime Center in Port Townsend; YMTA; Cal Maritime, Tacoma Chamber of Commerce and various maritime charity events held throughout the year.
If you would like to schedule a pilot to speak to your organization, please contact the Puget Sound Pilots at
206 . 518 . 5454.
- PSP has been actively involved in the creation of the Northwest Maritime Center. This is an exciting facility currently in design and construction in Port Townsend, Washington, one of our earliest shipping ports. Pilots are active in the design of the Pilothouse portion of the project. This is a re-creation of an actual pilot house that will allow museum visitors to see what it is like on the navigating bridges of the ships as they watch them pass by Point Wilson. We are working with the Maritime Center on a number of issues as the center continues to develop.
- PSP is often involved in special maritime events that occur in our region. We participated actively in the 2005 Tall Ships Festival in Tacoma. Not only did the pilots navigate some of the ships to the festival grounds in Tacoma, but we also contributed financially to the very successful event attended by almost a million people.
- PSP is a regular contributor to the Youth Maritime Training Association (YMTA).This Washington organization is dedicated to helping our young people find out about potential careers in the maritime field.
- PSP has sponsored a number of scholarships for Washington students at the California Maritime Academy in Vallejo, CA.
- PSP donated to the Edmonds Historical Society to help sponsor a book for youngsters on the maritime history of the state and in particular, the City of Edmonds.
- Members of the Puget Sound Pilots contribute their time and expertise to a variety of public marine-related councils and committees, including the Oil Spill Advisory Council, the Department of Ecology Oil Spill Advisory Committee, the Puget Sound Harbor Safety Committee and the North Puget Sound Risk Management Panel.